Boulware Medical Clinic
Internists & Primary Care Physicians located in Liberty, MO
It’s estimated that 34% of adults have high blood pressure, yet many of them aren’t aware of the problem because it seldom presents symptoms. Dr. William T. Boulware and Dr. Robert J. Boulware at Boulware Medical Clinic in Liberty, Missouri offer comprehensive management of hypertension. Whether it’s time to have your blood pressure checked or you’ve been diagnosed with hypertension, they’ll develop an individualized plan to keep your blood pressure under control.
Hypertension Management Q & A
Why is high blood pressure dangerous?
Blood naturally pushes against blood vessel walls as it flows through your body. When that pressure is too high for an extended period of time, the force damages the blood vessel, creating a rough spot that snags excess cholesterol. As cholesterol gradually builds up, plaque develops, the artery wall stiffens, and blood flow is blocked.
Hypertension can lead to heart attack or stroke. When vessels in the kidney are injured, it may cause kidney failure. It’s also dangerous because it seldom presents symptoms. If you don’t get regular wellness check-ups, you won’t know you have high blood pressure.
What causes high blood pressure?
High blood pressure may be caused by underlying health conditions such as kidney problems, obstructive sleep apnea, or thyroid problems, but most cases develop gradually over many years. The following lifestyle factors increase your risk for high blood pressure:
- Lack of physical activity
- Being overweight or obese
- Too much salt in the diet (and too little potassium)
- Smoking cigarettes
- Consuming too much alcohol
- Chronic stress
How is high blood pressure managed?
Dr. Boulware determines whether you have an underlying health condition and begins treatment if necessary. If you don’t have another health problem, the first step for managing high blood pressure is to address the lifestyle issues that contribute to the problem. The management plan includes any or all of the following:
- Dietary changes: Most American consume too much salt, which raises blood pressure, and too little potassium, which lowers blood pressure.
- Weight loss: Losing extra weight has a significant impact on blood pressure, so creating a weight management plan is an important part of keeping blood pressure under control.
- Exercise: Regular exercise works hand-in-hand with keeping weight under control and helps lower blood pressure.
- Antihypertensive medications: A variety of medications are available to lower blood pressure when lifestyle changes don’t help or if your blood pressure is dangerously high and needs to be lowered more quickly than waiting for lifestyle changes.
Once you develop high blood pressure, managing it becomes a lifelong goal. Dr. Boulware’s support and expertise helps you maintain your cardiovascular health, so don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment to have your blood pressure checked.
Major Insurance Plans Accepted
At Boulware Medical Clinic, we accept most major insurance plans. Here is a short-list of just some of the most popular plans we accept. Please contact our office if you do not see your insurance provider listed here. We do not accept insurance for cosmetic procedures at Beautification by Boulware